Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mormon for a Day...

Before moving out to Utah we had a lot of expectations about those "Mormon Folk." They push their religion onto every one, they don't drink or gamble, they are super judgmental of non mormons, and they practice polygamy. Well, upon living here and meeting plenty of Mormons, I'd say only half are true. The first one we found out that wasn't true was the polygamy. There is a whole other religion that split off from the Mormons, or Latter Day Saints (LDS). They are known as the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, FLDS, not to be confused with LDS. The other false perception was that they push their religion onto every one. Yes, they go on missions to spread the word and convert others to their religion, but I was thinking about it. Back in the early days of Christianity there were Christian missionaries that went places to convert people to Christianity. Look at how they tried to convert the Native Americans in America. Since the LDS church was founded in the 1800's, they are really only doing what other Christians did, they are just doing it in a less accepting day and age. Personally, I don't agree with missions, but hey, let's agree to disagree.

Some of the truths are that yes, they do not drink. In fact, the way I understand it, they don't really engage or use anything that is addictive. (Coffee, soda, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs etc) The gambling thing I'm still not sure on. Gambling IS illegal in Utah, but an hour and a half over the border in Nevada is a nice little town called Wendover which you can find plenty of Mormons gambling there. One thing I have found to be true is the judgmental part. Now I'm not saying that ALL Mormons are, but some of the younger girls I worked with were pretty judgmental about living a "non LDS" lifestyle. That's totally fine with me, because what they don't know they can't miss. Ignorance IS bliss, right?

Anyway, the reason for this post is because my friend Allie invited me to the General LDS Conference. It happens twice a year in April and October. The major people in the LDS religion, the Prophet, Quorum of the Apostles, and the Quorom of the Seventies all come to Salt Lake City. (No I didn't make that word up!) There are several speakers that concentrate on different aspects of life that you should work on. A lot of the messages had to do with church and sacrament, but most of the messages could apply to all Christians, not just LDS members. Here are just some of the messages:

-Learn from Children. They are the first to love and the first to forgive.
-Women are great! Wives are equal to their husbands. Even if they aren't in the working world, they have equal responsibilities at home.
-Following Christ requires strength.
-We all have spiritual pain, but all souls can be healed.
-Christ helps those in need.

Those were just a few things from the session I went to. There were 3 other sessions that talked about different things. This is a major weekend in the Mormon religion, and they all take it very seriously, it's even televised around the world! I may not agree with every thing the LDS religion believes, but I do believe in being a good person!!


Waterfall at the Conference Center. (It's directly above the pulpit.)

The Temple.

Front view of Temple.

Some people that didn't have tickets were standing around with signs asking f0r them. (they were free!)

These people came all the way from Arizona with out tickets!

Satan just watching over the protesters.

Another definition of LDS. (Just kidding, of course)

Bare feet on State Street? I think not.

Yes!! I love when people show their love for America!!

Of course there were protesters. Unfortunately, there weren't as many as I would have liked. (is that wrong of me?) As much as I love controversy, I don't understand what makes the protesters think that they can change peoples minds, or why they go out of their way to try. Either way, it was a good day. I got to see Temple Square, the inside of the conference center, a couple thousand Mormons, and a couple protesters along the way.

Don't worry Mom, I'm not converting any time soon. I still think it's a bit kooky.

--Stephanie

No comments: